15 Nov 2012

Safety Not Guaranteed

Today I went to see a film. A preview of the upcoming American indie film Safety Not Guaranteed, at Bath Film Festival to be exact. (It comes out after Christmas, so I hear) And it's good.

A bit of background. It's a film I hadn't heard of before, made by people I hadn't heard of, and starring people I've never seen before (well, other than someone in a cameo near the end). But the blurb interested me.

It's the story behind an advert (inspired by the real life advert), placed by a man who is looking for somebody to travel back in time with him. 'Safety not guaranteed' it says, along with 'must bring own weapons'. The film's central character Darius (Aubrey Plaza) goes on the search for the story behind it, to try and find out the truth - is the man deluded, or can he really time travel?



It's a sort of romantic comedy. It's independent, it's (relatively) cheap. It's true to life. It's probably a 'hipster' movie (people with little-to-no jobs, nice style, good soundtrack... a zither). The write-up said it was 'heart-warming and side-splitting' which I thought was a bit of a contradiction, but I'd said it passes on both accounts really.

However, it's not science-fiction.

Perhaps my expectations were high, I dunno. I'm probably not the target audience. My problem with the film, really, is the ending - and without giving too much away, I kinda wanted the film to be longer, or more complicated. Sure, it has all the character development, and the drama, and the witty lines, and even punch-the-air scenes, but... maybe I misjudged where it was going, that's all.

I'd recommend it though, I think. It's great, and has some good jokes, sweet characters and nice messages too.

No comments: